Transforming Vision into Reality through Philanthropy Drives Chief Advancement Officer Julia Jordan

New Chief Advancement Officer Julia Jordan says it’s inspiring when people connect over the shared goal of advancing the college’s mission to prepare diverse students to succeed as leaders and legal professionals.

Julia Jordan, UC Law SF’s new chief advancement officer, has a strong record of spearheading successful fundraising campaigns at the Bay Area Discovery Museum and Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco. Now at UC Law SF, she is leading efforts to raise money for the College’s key initiatives.

In this Q&A, Jordan shares what drew her to the field of advancement and why she’s excited to help UC Law SF achieve long-term goals as it seeks greater legal and community impact.

What inspired you to pursue a career in advancement?

I volunteered for the phone-a-thon program as an undergrad at Whitman College. I called alumni and parents of current students and alumni asking them to start, renew, or increase their support to the college. What drew me in was the ability to connect with people, build relationships, and think about how we could work together to advance the mission of an organization. It is motivating to be able to put those pieces together. I find inspiration in having donors be such a key part in making an organization’s vision for the future become a reality.

Can you share a moment in your career that made you feel especially proud?

At the Bay Area Discovery Museum in Marin County, we had a capital campaign to raise $19 million for new research-based exhibits for young children. I still remember the day we got the gift that put us over the finish line for that campaign. It was such a tremendous moment after years of hard work, knowing the exhibits we were trying to build would actually be created. The museum was able to work with a world-class architect to create cutting-edge exhibits that promote learning, exploration, and creativity.

What do you find most rewarding about working in this field?

I love getting to know the donors and discovering why they are involved. I enjoy finding ways to deepen their engagement and exploring how they can help make the vision of the organization come to fruition. Every place I’ve worked, they’re all different, but they share one common thread: they’re all committed to making the organization the best it can be. I enjoy working with talented, passionate people and using my skills to support important causes, such as education and affordable housing.

Why are you excited to take on this role at UC Law SF?

Education is important to me, and I’m thrilled to get back to fundraising in an academic setting. UC Law SF has a historic legacy as California’s first law school, but it also has a bright vision for the future. The College is building housing for not just UC Law SF students, but students of different disciplines from various institutions. The leaders here understand the need for more housing, more interdisciplinary collaboration, and greater support of academic initiatives that empower students to solve legal and societal problems. This vision helps make UC Law SF one of the top places to go to law school, and as a result, graduates will leave thinking very positively about the College, which makes my job as a fundraiser easier.

What are your impressions so far of the UC Law SF alumni community?

The alumni I’ve met since starting here are very dedicated to and supportive of UC Law SF’s vision for the future, including its transformation into a living and learning community known as the Academic Village. Alumni tell me they are impressed with the College’s new state-of-the-art buildings. I also hear from them a true commitment to ensuring that students of all backgrounds can access a top-notch education at UC Law SF through scholarships and other special programs.

When you’re not working, how do you like to unwind?

I love spending time outside with my family and our dog, soaking up the fresh air. My two sons are my biggest joy, and I’m always amazed by how fast they’re growing and the incredible people they’re turning into. Another way I unwind? Farmers markets! I love exploring what’s in season and whipping up new recipes with fresh, local produce.

What’s one fun fact about you that people might not expect?

I once spent an entire summer on a worm composting farm in rural Spain. Instead of the typical study abroad, I opted for something a little more… earthy. In Galicia, on the northwestern tip of the Iberian Peninsula, I became a full-time worm wrangler. I learned all about worm life cycles — and how some of the tiniest creatures make big contributions to our ecosystem and the health of so many different communities.